Hello! How are you? Wow, I've not reported in here for so long, having fallen head first down a great big quilting rabbit hole tunnel. I say tunnel because, true to my usual, I couldn't just work on ONE, that would be too sensible limiting. Really, working on two or more of a project (be it paintings, pages, quilts etc.) makes me feel like I have options, freedom to try different ideas out. Usually when I am creating, the ideas flow like wildfire and I want to try this, and that, and this...so working on two of something usually helps with that. Anyway, meet quilt one! This was my first ever triangle quilt attempt and of course, without researching (even google searches) I bought a template and cut isosceles triangle pieces vs. equilateral, which would have been much easier first go at triangles. But since I'm not a perfectionist, I didn't research first, just started full steam ahead and as usual, it works out well enough to please my non perfectionistic standards.
And I have a pretty new quilt for my family! Creative fun and function, what could be better? Well, ok, forget that question ;).
I cut out the triangles one by one (not an efficient way to do it) using this template and this rotary cutter on my favorite self healing mat. I learned too late to get a new blade, but next time, I'm good to go. This is what I did, I just cut a few of the fabrics I had and then placed them out to arrange and see where I was at. I had all this fabric already, having been thinking about this quilt for over a year, never finding the time. Unlike "real" quilters, I forged ahead with some fabrics pre-washed, some not, and even some cotton, some not. Oh, such a rule breaker. I figure sometimes it's better to be a novice. Caution to the wind and all that.
I sewed some rows together, and then those rows to each other. Some points lined up so perfectly, others, not so much. This is where the first time triangle quilt and dabbler vs. "quilter" comes in very handy. Who cares?!? Not my family, that's for sure!
Nicely lined up and points not even close seen above.
That's a little better! Of course, one improves as one goes along...usually...although sometimes this didn't hold true for me.
I couldn't decide how big to make it, so I grabbed a Kantha blanket we have and used it underneath as a gauge for size. Back to cutting more triangles...
Eventually, all the triangles and rows were sewn together. hooray! I decided to add a border of fabric scraps left from the triangle cutting:
It seemed the perfect amount of unmeasured make do, with all those same sized triangles.
Of course, I added one of my labels bought here. ;)
I tried pinning on a bit of fabric I was considering using for the binding. I did eventually use this one, and cut strips of 2" widths, but I do wish I would have done 2 1/2 or 3"...would have made it easier. I machine stitched on the front and then hand stitched the binding on the back.
As you can see, I went with white for the back. The stitching makes it plain but nice all the same.
And now that it's had it's first wash and dry, the imperfections are hidden and the character has come out. Because I hadn't prewashed all the fabric, I was concerned about colors running, especially onto the white back. I used this color catcher for the first time ever and it worked great! All the fabric is the same color it was, and the color grabber came out deep pink/brown.
It's 6' x 4' 5" when all is said and done...and I love it!!! My son even used it last night on the couch- the best part!
More recent quilting coming...one isn't finished yet, because I'm hand quilting it and it's much larger. But there's plenty to share about it, and other recent sewing tangents...
It's Friday afternoon here...two thumbs up for the weekend!