I found a bunch of different paints that I had in the garage, and mixed them together in a cleaned out strawberry container. I wanted to match the cover of the book somewhat. I knew since it was aged, in that perfect dirty paper way, that I'd be using a bit of stain wiped on the table after I painted it to take the color I painted on and age it a bit, so, I was mixing to get a color slightly lighter than the book cover.
A little of this color, a little of that color, cream, grey blue, green, raw umber, light blue. It all came together to make a pretty color, that I think works great with the book cover. I tore the book cover off and left the rough edge from the torn fabric binding. I did have to cut the book on the other three edges to make it the right size. To cut it, I used an old paper cutter I have from my Dad's business in the 60's. I glued the book cover down using good ol' Elmer's white glue.
I love where the book and table meet:
Now I've got another little table to add to my collection of little tables. I bought them all at one time or other for display purposes, various sales etc. You can see why I bought it even though I was far from home, it goes so well with the other two that are painted someting other than white.